Monday, January 11, 2010

1-10

10 Wristcutters: A Love Story*
9 Paranoid Park
8 Burn After Reading
7 Humpday*
6 O Brother, Where Art Thou?
5 Man Push Cart
4 Fa yeung nin wa (In the Mood For Love)
3 Fantastic Mr. Fox
2 Memento
1 Unbreakable

Given that I am giving them 3 out of the top 17, I guess I'm saying the Coen Bros. are my favorite directors of the decade.   5 of the top 10 are more or less comedies.  Fancy that.

I was pretty surprised that Unbreakable came out #1, I must say, but I just look at all the ones above (from other years) and below it and it resists moving.  It features great performances across the board, a carefully crafted pace, and presents a still unique take on the superhero script, one of the dominant genres of the decade.

3 comments:

  1. Well, the top two are awesome films. Haven't seen the rest. Then again, I tend to avoid Coen Bros. films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough. Of my Top 10, I'd recommend to you personally Wristcutters if you need to laugh, Paranoid Park if you need to skate and Man Push Cart if you need to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list was quite good but the idea that Unbreakable is the best movie of the decade seems a little ridiculous to me. Nevertheless, it's a good list and I'm glad to see favourites like Fantastic Mr Fox and O Brother Where Art Thou get top ten praise.

    ReplyDelete