Sunday, January 17, 2010

Korol Lir

The favorite film version of King Lear of no less an authority than Timothy Roscoe, who in a happy coincidence currently has this as his favorite quote on his Facebook page:

"O sir, to willful men,
The injuries that they themselves procure
Must be their schoolmasters. Shut up your doors."
- King Lear II.iv

Somewhere else The Imp is laughing.  I have so far watched 15 of his films, with a mean rating of 4.4.  You would think I would stop at some point, but no, he just keeps me hanging on.  The latest hook is Peter Sellars.  I just marveled at his knowledge and passion for this Soviet King Lear as a special feature commentary on the DVD and had to see what work he has produced himself.  So there he is, co-screenwriter (with Norman Mailer!?) of Godard's King Lear.  Merde.

As an aside, I hereby volunteer my services as a subtitlist for foreign Shakespeare films. I'll cut out the middle man and just use the original text instead of translating back into English whatever the actors are saying.

Rating: 7 out of 10
Strongly recommended, but not as a first date movie, from personal experience: Kurosawa's Ran. Finding Neverland worked out much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment