Friday, January 15, 2010

Up in the Air

I was happy to hear Sharon Jones getting the love at the top.  Saw her & The Dap-Kings live in Cville and I felt I was getting as close to a young James Brown as a non-time-traveller could get.  Word got out that she pulled up guys and gals alike to dance on stage, so the second show a few months later got a little too chaotic.  Binky Griptite had to declare: "We love you all.  But the stage.  Is by invitation only."

Sad to say but the credits and the opening scenes of the master at his craft were the highlights of Up in the Air.  I'd go so far as to call the screenplay misogynistic towards the little girl (do cardboard cut-outs deserve names?) and "I'm just like you, but with a vagina" Vera.

Rating: 5 out of 10
Recommended instead: Save the Tiger (thanks Kevin)

4 comments:

  1. Oh well. Agree to disagree and all that, but I propose that there is a disconnect between your dismissing this disconnected superhero while placing Unbreakable at the top your list.

    Challenge question: what is THE tent-staking scene in Unbreakable, the scene that justifies what is otherwise an extended conceit? Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but there are two (arguably three) scenes that establish its right to be taken seriously. I guess this is off-topic, but I do think Up In the Air and Unbreakable both start with U.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed the tag line for the blog. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he stakes his tent immediately with the birth. He immediately establishes a character, a tone, and a distinctive rhythm which still to this day sets his apart from all other superhero films.

    Unforgiven is my favorite U, in no small part because of my personal identification with Bill Munny's demon. Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I liked several things in the film (Clooney's performance, for example), the way too cutesy screenplay was NOT one of those things. Of course, said screenplay won the Golden Globe tonight, further validating all the Diablo Codys out there.

    ReplyDelete