Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Informer (1935)

Cinematography changes, editing changes, technologies change, fashions go in and out, genres rise and fall, ideologies and topics follow the day:  I (for the most part) can accept them in their context.  I can hang with silent Ku Klux Klan heroes or Mel Gibson as a feminist.  I will grant the author their subject and the time its style.

Two notable exceptions:
Early 80s cinematography is flat out ugly.
English speakers overacting, but especially the 30s and early 40s.

Victor McLagen won best actor and The Informer was the first film and only film to win the New York Film Critics Circle award for Best Picture by a unanimous vote on the first ballot.  Just not my style.

Rating: 3 out of 10
Recommended instead:  How Green Was My Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment