Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Reversal of Fortune

It takes two to do the codependency tango.  Dershowitz went on to be on OJ Simpson's "dream team" so some of his more crusading moments in the film now sound tinny to the ear. 

Rating: 5 out of 10
Recommended instead: Until I see the 1940 version, I'll have to go with Gaslight from '44.

Still assembling my thoughts on Antichrist.  In process of rewatching Andrei Rublev and guessing that the upcoming snowstorm will provide the proper atmosphere to type a bit more than usual.

Mark Bastable pointed out offline that I tend to be a hard grader. That is true.  I rebel against the IMDB inflation/compression of the 10 point scale.  Here is what my numbers mean.

10: Masterpiece
9:   Excellent
8:   Very good
7:   Thumbs up
6:   Recommended, barely
5:   Usually means "decent time-waster on TV" or "see it if you want, or not," but in special cases means "equal parts brilliant and infuriating so it all cancels out"
4:   "Oh, if only it could have been just a little better...."
3:   Thumbs down
2:   "Well, at least it had that (one thing) going for it..."
1:   Can mean either "irredeemable trash" or any film that, no matter what merits it may have had, I cannot or will not watch until the very end.  I consider it a fundamental aesthetic principle that if a director cannot "close the deal," then the work is a failure.

1 comment:

  1. I like to include zero: a movie so obviously and utterly bad, I refuse to see it in the first place. Like Shallow Hal.

    ReplyDelete